Mermade Moments: November // A Time To Be Thankful



Monday, November 30, 2015

November // A Time To Be Thankful

(Intro written on November 1st.) This November, I am setting a goal. A goal to be thankful. MORE thankful. To tell people that I am thankful for them. To be thankful for ALL things - whether they be physical things, mental things, material things, any and all things. Over the course of the month, I plan to include what I'm thankful for each day - cheesy or not. I'll also include my snippets and thoughts throughout the month to explain why I'm thankful. (I'm including this line because some of the things I'm thankful for seem ridiculous.)

image source

1) My mom doing my laundry and making me mashed potatoes. I came over to her house sick as a dog with laundry in tow and she took care of me. Sometimes, you just need your mom.
2) RAIN. California is in a huuuuge drought right now and it poured all day long. I always say "I love the rain if I don't have to be out and about in it." I actually stayed home sick today and got to enjoy it  from the couch all day long.
3) Our apartment. It costs us an arm and a leg to live there, but it is so cute and so perfect for us. I spent the evening cleaning up to surprise J after a long week for the both of us.
4)  Red Starbucks cups. I know, I know. This cup symbolizes my favorite time of the year and the fact that I am over this disgusting stomach flu and enjoying a yummy beverage for the first time in a week!
5) Date night. J and I live together. We obviously eat together every night because we need to food to survive. So calling a dinner a "date" seems so special.
6) A faithful relationship. This is a weird one, but something to be thankful for. I was cheated on multiple times in a past relationship. I know what it feels like. Sitting at dinner last night with Jarad and my dad, we overheard an older man talking to a much younger woman. They were having an affair. They talked openly about it. It was terrible and dysfunctional and so bad. The wife actually called while the husband was at dinner with this young woman. #awkward
7) My immediate family/my health. J and I spent the day in Pacific Grove. We walked the By the Bay 3k with my dad, sister, brother in law and four nieces. It was so much fun! My heart melts for those little girls. 
8) A day with no schedule. Jarad and I had absolutely no plans today, which is practically unheard of for us. We went Christmas shopping and hung out with my sisters. A breath of fresh air.
9) An easy commute. I commute about 60 miles a day to work. The drive isn't as bad as it was when I lived in Monterey, but commuting still sucks. The drive today was ridiculously fast and I was in heaven. I got home in 30 minutes, instead of my usual hour plus.
10) Our Veterans. All gave some, some gave all. I am so thankful for our veterans and their service to this country.
11) A homemade dinner. Jarad had the day off of school and he cooked me the most delicious meal - steak, red wine mushrooms, and potatoes. We've been eating out so much lately and this was much appreciated.
12) Cupcake orders. I bake cupcakes at night after I get home from my day job. It's what I love doing. I'm alwaaaaays tired, but I love making people happy and the extra money doesn't hurt. :)
13) My best friend, Beth. Today is the day before my birthday. My coworkers took me out to Chevy's to celebrate. My bff that lives an hour away from my office surprised me at lunch after she told me she wouldn't be able to make it. The best surprise! I almost cried.
14) My birthday. I'm thankful for my mom enduring 2 WEEKS of labor to bring me into this world. I'm thankful for the time I got to spend with my friends and family and all the good food we got to eat.
15) My house. My dad's house is my favorite. It always feels huge when I stay there (apartment living). I love my room there and my dog and spending time with my Dad like before I moved out. It feels like home to me no matter what.
16) Target. I'm sure you knew this one was coming. Besides Target being the best store ever, I've had such fun memories there. My sisters and I have been frequenting Target lately and there is never a dull moment.
17) Jarad. My boyfriend is so sweet to me. I've been in a bad mood the last couple of afternoons and yesterday he went to the grocery for me, so I could eat cake and watch reality tv on the couch. It's the little things, people.
18) Technology. My brain can't even fathom all that technology has become. We are able to do so much. I honestly can't imagine my life without technology as sad as that sounds. Without it, I wouldn't be able to reach someone if my car breaks down or in an emergency, or check in on Jarad's day, or receive the cutest pictures of my nieces at random.
19) Warmth. In all sense of the word, really. I have a warm house, a car with a functioning heater (most of the time), a warm office to drive to, and people in my life that warm my heart. There is a man that lives at a table in front of a Safeway across the street  from my house. He has one blanket that he pulls up to his neck. I bought him a latte and a breakfast sandwich today - in hopes that those items would bring him some warmth - in all sense of the word.
20) Good Mexican food. Mexican food is my favorite. Unfortunately, the best Mexican food is in my hometown and I don't live there anymore. However, J and I found a pretty good restaurant a few minutes from our house. Score!
21) Not caring what people think. This is an ability that I have been working on for years. Luckily, I think I've got it down - most of the time. Me and Jarad took my sisters to IKEA today. We were being ridiculous - playing with stuffed animals and dancing and singing to the cool music that was playing. We didn't care. We just had fun.
22) Hallmark Christmas movies. They are so outrageous and so far fetched, but they fill my heart with joy and hope. Seriously. Cheesy movies are my thing and my heart was bursting all day. Also, Jarad was building my dresser, so maybe that helped.
23) My job. I love it. I hate it. At the end of the day, I am thankful to have a job where I love my coworkers (most of them) and get to work with my dad every day. I also love having money to pay my bills and fund my excessive Target trips.
24) "I don't care lunches". My boss and I went out to lunch together today. We went to Applebee's and ordered whatever we felt like. It was fun...and delicious. #nojudgementhere
25) The heart of a child. That sounded sort of creepy, but I mean it to be sweet. My 2 year old niece looked up at me today and said "I'm having a great time with you today, Nanda." It was totally out of the blue and completely melted my heart.
26) Deep fried turkey. I honestly don't care much about Thanksgiving. I love my family, but I'm basically on a countdown to Christmas starting November 1st. I had deep fried turkey for the first time this year and oh lord have mercy. Try it.
27) My dad. I got to spend time with him this weekend at his house and it was just like old times. He is my ultimate best friend.
28) Suite life. J and I got to join my coworkers at a San Jose Sharks game in the suite! This hardly ever happens to us and we had so much fun! Free tickets and lots of fun!
29) Sleepovers. I get to have a sleepover with my nieces tonight because I am taking my sister, brother in law and the girls to the airport. Let the fun begin!
30) Bravery. I'm a chicken. Full blooded chicken. I hardly do anything by myself. I get super anxious driving new places. Blah blah. Well, this weekend, I drove a lot of new places without much panicking. I even drove J and I to the Sharks game a few days ago, which is quite the accomplishment. (He was sleeping and I was on my own with directions.) I really hope to continue this bravery streak into 2016 and beyond. (haha) 


I realize that this post is outrageously long and I won't blame you for skimming. I'm considering doing this every month in some way or another. It really made me stop and think about how great I have it. At one point this month, I stopped and said "wow, even my bad days aren't that bad." I can' wait to see what December brings! I hope you all had a fantastic Thanksgiving with your loved ones.


1 comment:

  1. I stopped by to shamelessly promote my giveaway, which features a handmade mermaid:
    http://bit.ly/1YFaMZR

    Thanks girl! See ya on twitter :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! It makes my day! If you would rather email me, feel free!

I would love to review your product, blog, etc. Please email me at miranduh007@yahoo.com