Mermade Moments: My Thoughts On The Isla Vista Tragedy



Monday, May 26, 2014

My Thoughts On The Isla Vista Tragedy

I found this image on Facebook. It is not my own.

I've been writing this post in my head for a few days now. I was trying to sugar coat my words and I just can't.

I do not feel bad for him. 

I've seen multiple posts about people "feeling bad" for the shooter. He must've been "mentally ill". He just needed "friends". He was "crying for help" by posting those Youtube videos. A girl "should've just kissed him."

Being lonely doesn't give you the right to shoot people. Considering yourself "fabulous", "magnificent" and "superior" does not give you the right to kiss somebody or be sexually involved with somebody. He felt like he deserved women. He deserved the attention and "sexual pleasures" from these "beautiful, blonde girls" he lusted after.

So what if girls didn't like him? So what if he had never been kissed? So what if he was a 22 year old virgin? Everybody feels lonely at times. Everybody has their awkward stages in life. That doesn't make shooting sorority girls okay. It just doesn't. He stabbed 3 guys in his apartment complex. He shot innocent girls and other innocent people on the street. He left parents without their kids. He left students without their friends. He took away innocent people's lives because he was unhappy with his.

I have a lot of friends that live in that area. It could have been them. I spent two Halloweens in Isla Vista. I loved it there. My heart goes out to all of the people affected by this - the innocent victims, their families, and the residents of Isla Vista. 

I am disgusted. His Youtube videos disgust me. The fact that somebody feels entitled to a woman's body disgusts me.

I do not feel bad for him. 

A long time friend pointed out that the victims deserved to be known. I couldn't agree more.

Weihan Wang - 20 years old. Studying Computer Engineering. He was the "joy of his family."
Cheng Yuan Hong - 20 years old. Studying Computer Science. Was always smiling.
George Chen - 19 years old. Studying Computer Science. Loved working with children.

Katherine Breann Cooper - 22 years old. Loved to paint. Was about to graduate with a degree in Art History.
Christopher Ross Michaels-Martinez - 20 years old. English major. Planned on studying abroad in London for his Junior year and attending law school after graduating.
Veronika Elizabeth Weiss- 19 years old. She loved sports and got straight A's. Math was her favorite.

I do not feel bad for him. I feel bad for them. Their parents. Their friends.

1 comment:

  1. This post is awesome. You hit the nail on the head..."The fact that somebody feels entitled to a woman's body disgusts me." Bingo. So true, so wrong, and I agree with you - I do not feel bad for him. We have hearts and minds and souls to look into - we're not just bodies to be used at someone's discretion. That's absurd. I don't feel bad for him, but I AM saddened thinking that maybe no one taught him otherwise for all of his 22 years. Maybe if he looked past physicality with women and searched for friendships first and foremost, things could've turned out differently. It's heartbreaking.

    lovelovelove,
    Erica
    cominguprosestheblog.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! It makes my day! If you would rather email me, feel free!

I would love to review your product, blog, etc. Please email me at miranduh007@yahoo.com