Mermade Moments: The Perfect Buttercream Frosting



Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Perfect Buttercream Frosting

I am not lying when I say PERFECT. You know the yummy bakery frosting that is always so smooth and delicious? It took me awhile to figure out how to get that. No matter what I tried, it just wasn't the same.

Too sweet. Too grainy. Too separated. Blah blah baking fails.

The trick is shortening. It's totes healthy, don't worry.

It's a one bowl frosting. You toss everything in, set a timer and walk away. It's also a "crusting" buttercream. It works great for decorating! You'll be like a real bakery in no time!


You will need:
  • 1/2 cup (one stick) of butter
  • 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup shortening
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 bag powdered sugar (2 pounds)
  • a dash of vanilla if you want (your frosting won't be stark white)
What to do:
  • add your stick of butter to the bowl
  • add shortening to the bowl - I usually do 3/4 cup
  • add the whole bag of powdered sugar on top of that
  • if you are using vanilla, add it now (I don't)
  • pour your milk all over the powdered sugar (it's fun)
  • it's mixing time! use SLOW speed. I usually pulse it until it stops sending powdered sugar up into the air
  • once you've got it under control, high speed baby! set a timer for 3-4 minutes and go do your thang
  • come back when the timer goes off and marvel at the deliciousness you have just made
the-perfect-buttercream

crusting-buttercream

So. Lovely.

*This makes a lot of frosting!*

Coming this week...ombre rose cakes featuring this frosting!

ombre-rose-cake

6 comments:

  1. This is MY kind of frosting! Tastes soooo yummy and hardens up. mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love buttercream frosting :) Thanks for sharing your recipe xx ♥
    http://thekissofjoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I use water instead of milk. I wonder the taste difference. Trying this out in my cooking classes!

    HCXO Semirah
    http://soundofcharm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a buttercream recipe that I love but it also has 4 sticks of butter! :O I'll definitely have to try this since it's healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious, I love buttercream frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi! just dropping by from the tea party! Great post! I love baking and I have such trouble with frosting, so this is a recipe I'll definitively try!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! It makes my day! If you would rather email me, feel free!

I would love to review your product, blog, etc. Please email me at miranduh007@yahoo.com